Friday 14 November 2008

Victor should have been a jazz musician - Grace Jones

Grace Jones has recently released a new album, entitled 'Hurricane'. I was quite surprised when I found about that last month, because I figured she'd just stopped making music years ago. The last Grace Jones record I bought, only a couple of years ago, was the 12" vinyl of 'Victor should have been a jazz musician'. There were really two reasons: it was cheap (only 1 euro), and both the A-side and the B-side - 'I'm not perfect (but I'm perfect for you)' - were remixed by Ben Liebrand. And Ben Liebrand was responsible for many interesting remixes in the 1980's.

I was less impressed with the tracks themselves when they were released. To me, Grace Jones peaked with 'Slave to the rhythm', and then faded into obscurity. But I have to admit I was wrong. 'Victor should have been a jazz musician' is not only a great title (it's up there with 'You will always find me in the kitchen at parties' and 'I don't know what you want but I can't give it anymore'), but also a classy, cool track. The remixes, then. Ben Liebrand did a reasonable job on 'Victor', but the remix of 'I'm not perfect' is slightly too manic for me.

My collection: 12" single no. 274
Found: 1996
Cost: 2,5 guilders
Tracks: 'Victor should have been a jazz musician (Jazz club million minute mix)' / 'I'm not perfect (but I'm perfect for you) (C + VI minimix)'
Download: Victor should have been a jazz musician, I'm not perfect (But I'm perfect for you).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising