Saturday 10 January 2009

Jealous guy - Roxy Music

Following the tragic death of John Lennon in December 1980, Roxy Music recorded a cover version of his song 'Jealous guy'. This was met with some criticism as it was suggested that they were cashing in on his death. Still, the song became a number one chart hit for Roxy Music.

John Lennon wrote the song in ten years earlier, after his relationship with Yoko Ono had become strained because of his drinking problems and jealousy problems with his first wife, Cynthia Powell. Yoko commented, '(The song) said it all! ... After we got together he made me write out a list of all the men I'd slept with before we met. I started to do it quite casually – then I realised how serious it was to John. He didn't even like me speaking Japanese because that was a part of my mind that shut him out.'

My collection: 7" single no. 3508
Found: Record Mania, Amsterdam, December 27, 2008
Cost: 1 euro
Tracks: 'Jealous guy' / 'To turn you on'
Download: here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising